Major Hiccup

I sat down the other day to write a post about my "grand adventure" and where I am in my weaving.  Many paragraphs in, I went to add photos, and Blogger wouldn't let me.  I tried everything, but no dice, so I gave up and walked away from the computer.  The draft is still sitting there, waiting patiently, for me to edit or post it.  But that is not the hiccup of which I speak.

I developed sudden onset swelling and pain this week, first behind my right knee, then during the night, in my hands, so much so that I couldn't sleep.  The swelling has now spread to elbows and wrists, knees, ankles and feet.  Pain and tingling are worst at night, along with the swelling, which is quite significant. 

I went to my doctor's yesterday and am being treated for presumed a tickborne disease, pending lab results.  He's pretty sure I have either Lyme disease or anaplasmosis, or the third possibility, babesiosis, which is not treatable with the antibiotic I'm on.  The fact that the swelling got worse overnight after starting treatment is quite discouraging, and I've just returned from picking up some steroids to try.  Anyone who has taken steroids knows that they themselves are not fun to take and carry some significant side effects.  Terrific.  All of this because of our Father's Day hike on the St George Highland Trail and these devils;



Weaving is out of the question right now, as I cannot fully close my hands due to swelling.  I'd be too afraid my shuttle would just sail on by with every toss.  Ditto knitting and spinning.  I've called out of work for a couple of days after soldiering through yesterday for as long as I could.  I cannot spend time outside due to the side effect from doxycycline, so I'm a bit at odds at the moment.  I think I need to work on my attitude, try to see how fortunate I am to have found this before it becomes chronic, heaven forbid.  Positivity can only help my healing, and wallowing in self-pity will only hurt my progress.

Expect to see the previous blog post soon, as I see Blogger is allowing photos again!

Comments

  1. Oh, i'm so sorry. This is terrible for you. I am putting your name in the Temple for extra prayers that the antibiotics will work. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! I've been remiss in checking my comments lately, but your support and prayers are truly appreciated!

      Delete
  2. So sorry! I think it's the ideal time for catching up on your reading, and napping, and letting others care for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment