A Bit of Organization

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm a bit, um, tightly wound.  I like things in order, or my little brain has a hard time thinking clearly.

You can imagine my difficulties after I received that big box of yarn I posted about last time.  That yarn had nowhere to live, because my one and only yarn storage looked like this:


(I took that picture after I had organized the second shelf down.  Believe me, it was as bad as the rest!).  The yarns are "organized," in that similar sizes and materials are together, but I found it harder and harder to function in that room as it is, and now I had all that extra yarn to deal with.  My hubby made a few simple half shelves, but even so, they sat on the floor for longer than they should have.  I was truly overwhelmed. So I started by organizing the yarns that I had just purchased, so I could see what I had.  That big jumbled box o' yarns went from this;


to this;


When I look that this photo, I see a beautiful gradient baby wrap in there!

I then took all of the yarns off each shelf, one shelf at a time, and tried to replace them in some kind of order, still keeping similar yarns together.  The half shelves helped a lot, though there is definitely room for improvement.


At least the big box is off the floor.

I also finished another wallet.  This one also used handwoven wrap scraps for the exterior, and several different fabrics for the interior.  I made this for one of our travel nurses, who swooped in and has helped us so much! She'll be leaving soon, so now she has something to remember us all by.


I thought I had done a better job of matching the stripes, but no dice!


I've started a new project on the big loom - more towels for the craft show, this time four shaft M&W twill.  The warp is 8/2 mercerized cotton, and I will mostly use 8/2 unmercerized stash for weft, but may sneak in a bit of the new yarns.  I also tried a new method for tying and spreading the warp.  It's called "Magic String," and is described in the book "Dress your loom the Vavstuga Way."


It's quite simple, and seemed to do a good job.  Now I have to start weaving and hope I don't muck it up!  Any hints on starting with a temple would be much appreciated.  Any time I use one, I adjust it at the reed, so it's the correct width, but the cloth behind it is much more narrow.  When I take the material off, the selvedges almost seem a bit wavy, which mostly resolves with wet finishing.  I've seen some incredible photos of cloth in progress that is straight and flat from reed to front beam.  I'd love to achieve that!

Two long days of work ahead, then the weekend off, so I should be able to get a good start on these.  I really need to finished bricking the edge of the garden too.

Comments