We Have Diamonds!

I managed to actually weave something this morning, although it is not much to look at.  This is the beginning of the baby blanket warp in an 8-shaft lace pattern. 


You can see the colored scrap yarn, where I found the wrong tie ups on shafts 5-8.  Then there is the hem, which is plain weave.  The more distinct lines are the folding lines, which are easily produced by doubling a treadle pick, i.e. you weave 1-2-1-2-1-2-2-1-2-1-2-1, etc, and the two 2's in a row make nice even visual cue for folding the material when it's time to sew the hem.

Then you can see the double diamonds on the right side of the photo.  The lace will shrink up a bit when the piece is wet finished, and it will show areas of lace and areas of plain weave, which will make for a nice blanket material.  Now, this is by far the widest piece that I've ever woven at 42.25 inches, so I think that progress will be slower than usual due to the strain that this width puts on my arms/shoulders, but I am excited that I have finally started weaving on this!

Comments